FIRST AID/HEALTH ISSUES

FIRE ANT STINGS

image7

Fire ant stings have become a major health concern across the United States. More than 80 deaths have been reported related to fire ant stings. 

Stings present as swollen red spots that develop a blister containing pus like fluid. Fire ants inject a toxin venom called solenopsin. These stings are very painful and generally last up to one week. Minor stings can be treated with warm water and soap, application of topical anti itch cream, and a bandage. Ice packs minimize pain and itching. 

Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to stings that may require medical attention. Fire ant stings cause a variety of medical problems, including increasing numbers of hypersensitivity reactions, secondary infections, neurologic complications, and even death.